Countries in Asia and where it is Safe to Travel
Majority of the countries in Asia is peaceful and relatively safe to travel, with Japan as the #1 safest place to visit in Asia and #8 in the world. Although it is also home to most of the dangerous places on earth with the majority of the Middle East countries, Pakistan and North Korea. Here is the list Asian countries (in alphabetical order) with their current situation or note worthy news as of today (Updated: November 26, 2015).
- Afghanistan – listed as one of the least safest country in the world, mainly due to hostile groups with extremist ideologies.
- Bahrain – Travel only when necessary and with caution as with most middle east countries.
- Bangladesh – Travel only when necessary and with caution. Recent news involve Bangladesh having problems with extremist groups, both local and international.
- Bhutan – #20 on the global peace index. Accessible from Kathmandu, Nepal.
- Brunei – Relatively safe to visit. Tourist spots mainly comprise of museums, mosques and parks.
- Burma (Myanmar) – With the current election going on, travel is relatively safe.
- Cambodia – Safe to travel. Visit with a Cambodia and Vietnam tour
- China – Despite the tension in South China Sea/West Philippine Sea, traveling to Beijing, Shanghai and most of China is safe.
- East Timor – Travel only if necessary. Reports of rampant gang related crimes and robbery, both day and night. Harassment against women have been also reported.
Hong Kong – Although already part of China, but with partial independence, Hong Kong ranks one of the top 10 safest places to visit in Asia.
- India – Relatively safe for men. Extra precaution needed by women when taking public transportation or walking alone at night. Best to travel with an organized tour like our India Golden Triangle tour.
- Indonesia – Relatively safe. Tourists still pour in to Bali, Jakarta and Surabaya with very minimal incidents. Usual terrorist threats occur but local police and international security agencies have them under control.
- Iran – Travel only when necessary and with caution as with most middle east countries.
- Iraq – also listed as one of the least safest country in the world, mainly due to clashes of groups with opposing ideologies.
- Israel – safe, especially if joining with a holyland tour group. Rare to occasional incidents occur but mostly targeting locals.
- Japan – Listed as one of the most peaceful country in the world. Visit with our Japan Tour or via cruise
- Jordan – Safe, especially if joining with a holyland tour group. Safety reputation was only marred due to proximity with Syria and the on-going international problem with an extremist group.
- Kazakhstan – Travel to most places in Kazakhstan is possible, but there is a general threat of terrorism in the country.
- Korea, North – Isolated nation with paranoid views of the world. Some tours commence but proceed with caution.
- Korea, South – Very safe for travel. Visit with our Korea tour or through cruises.
- Kuwait – Travel only when necessary and with caution as with most middle east countries.
- Kyrgyzstan – Travel only when necessary and with caution and be wary of vehicular accidents and street crimes.
- Laos – Main city(ies) safe but outside urban areas contains unexploded ordnance. Travel with caution.
- Lebanon – Travel only when necessary and with caution as with most middle east countries. Current conflict and source of safety concerns involve neighboring Syria and tensions with Israel.
- Malaysia – #29 on the global peace index. Kuala Lumpur is accessible by land, plane or cruises.
- Maldives – Safe for travel. Visit with our tour to Maldives or through cruises.
- Mongolia – Relatively safe, just avoid public demonstrations and borders.
- Nepal – Relatively safe, but road conditions are still poor due to the earthquake last April 2015.
- Oman – Travel only when necessary and with caution as with most middle east countries. Border with Yemen still open which is a potential for trouble.
- Pakistan – Intermittent conflict and attacks with local extremist group.
- Philippines – Safe, except for the Bullet-Planting-in-Luggage “tanim bala” scam
- Qatar – Safest country to visit in the Middle East and #30 in the
- Russia – Relatively safe for travel, except for provinces near Ukraine and provinces with civil unrest. Moscow and St. Petersburg is safe. Visit with a Russia tour, Russia and Scandinavia tour or through cruises.
- Saudi Arabia
- Singapore – Ranked #16 in global peace index. Singapore, even as a small nation, retains its discipline since the time of its foundation.
- Sri Lanka – Relatively safe, except for places known to still have land mines.
- Syria – Civil war since 2011 and now currently mixed with international extremist group.
- Tajikistan – Travel only when necessary and with caution as it borders middle east countries and Pakistan.
- Thailand – Safe for travel. Visit through tours to Bangkok or through cruises.
- Turkey – Still relatively safe for travel, except for areas near border with Syria. Check this page or on the news for recent updates regarding the conflict of Turkey and Russia. Visit turkey through cruises or join our Greece and Turkey Tour.
- Turkmenistan – Relatively safe for travel.
- United Arab Emirates – Perhaps truly the safest middle eastern country (second to Qatar and #49 in the world). Visit Abu Dhabi or Dubai through tours or cruises.
- Uzbekistan – Travel only when necessary and with caution as it borders middle east countries.
- Vietnam – Safe to travel. Visit with a Cambodia and Vietnam tour or through cruises.
- Yemen – Travel only when necessary and with caution as with most middle east countries.
Check other countries for travel safety by continent:
Countries in Europe and where it is Safe to Travel (coming soon)
Countries in Oceania and where it is Safe to Travel (coming soon)